One new tradition that Mark was probably not fully prepared for was birthday breakfast! My family has always had a big birthday breakfast for the birthday boy or girl and I loved it and wanted to carry it over. Mark is, hmmm...how do I say this, not a morning person :). He hates having to get up in the morning, in fact, I daresay it is his least favorite time of the day. I told him that if our kiddos someday are as hard to get up as he is, I might just have to give up now! Getting up one is hard enough!
Anyway, but he rolled out of bed and we had orange french toast which was yummy. This was one of his more awake - trying to be excited - pictures.
Mark had one class in the morning and was done by 9:30 which was pretty wonderful. He was able to come home and relax for a bit and then he drove me downtown for my first and only interview I have been able to get here in Denver. The job itself wasn't super high on my list of jobs I wanted but at least it is progress right. At least it gave me a little positive boost with the job hunt.
The job itself would be really interesting in a very interesting environment. I would be a teacher's aid for kindergarten for three hours and then for first grade another three hours. I think I would learn a lot and it would get me in the classroom which is all I really want. The school is in a really poor part of town - definitely what you would expect from an inner-city school in a large city. The building itself is over 100 years old and really run down. I felt a little overdressed (and was actually told so) when I arrived for my interview in black slacks, green blouse, and black sweater. All of the other teachers/secretaries were in jeans and tank tops (no air-conditioning). A little weird. They told me that the school is about 90% Hispanic (I really wish I knew ANY Spanish) and the rest is black. She told me that I would really stick out in the environment (especially if I kept dressing like I do) but it would be a really good experience. I would love to just dive in and do what I can for these little kiddos. Anyway, we will see what happens. I guess whatever happens happens, and at least I know I am in the system of names and maybe something else will come :)
After the interview we came home and just relaxed during the afternoon. Later, Mark decided that we would go out to eat at The Olive Garden and then we went and saw a movie. Mark is a big Steve Carell fan and so we went and saw "Crazy Stupid Love." It was pretty funny - some parts probably didn't need to be in there but for the most part is was good. The other people in the theater probably made it far more entertaining then it actually was with their laughter - so overall fun night.
We came home and had cake and opened presents. My family sent him a Harry Potter Encyclopedia of sorts which is actually pretty fun to look through and The Lord of the Rings trilogy in a nice leather book. LOVE PRETTY BOOKS! And I got him a new game for the wii that we can play together. Pretty low-key but it was a great day. I am so thankful that I have this little cutie as my hubby.
His birthday also happened to fall on our sixth month anniversary - SO - Happy Six Months!
No comments:
Post a Comment