Saturday, February 2, 2019

HS: December

Remember when I said I had all of these great plans for December and then they kind of flopped.  Well, that was sadly also true when it came to our homeschooling.  I had some really fun ideas put together for some "Christmas school" and it just never happened.  <insert crying here>  I was really bummed about it and just reminding myself that we have years and years for these things to happen and am trying to give myself some grace for my pregnancy sickies and exhaustion.  

We DID do a decent amount of schooling though!

We worked hard and finished up our study of the DOCTRINE & COVENANTS.  This was definitely a lot more rushed because we were wanting to finish by January.  I am really glad that we did.  We had so many neat discussions.  We finished up in between Christmas and New Years and we watched a beautiful movie about the life of Joseph Smith.  I think it left a really big impact on all of us.  We CAN'T wait to start the new Come, Follow Me curriculum!!!

In MATH, we started our third unit.  This unit focuses on numbers up to 20.  Jacob LOVES math!  It is easily our smoothest lesson every day!  This year has been lots of review but there has also been a lot of new things sprinkled in and he has such a good number sense.  I know it is setting him up to be really successful.  We practiced adding on to five, five plus, comparing 2D vs 3D shapes, penny practice, cube and sphere, making seven and taking away from seven.  

Sarah and I jumped back into PRESCHOOL.  This is really where I had planned lots of fun Christmas-y things that just never happened.  We did finish our units about kittens, kindness and the color purple.  We then moved on to our lion unit which is all about sharing and the color green.  

In HISTORY we started to really dive into our unit about the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.  We discussed the spread of Christianity in Ireland, St. Patrick, did a great review of our Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), the spread of Christianity in England, and King Alfred the Great.  

We also really got into our Space Science unit in SCIENCE.  We discussed the terrestrial planets - Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, the moon and its phases and gravity and the tides.  

Jacob continues to progress nicely in LANGUAGE ARTS.  He is doing well with his phonics cards, sight word ladders and spelling charts.  We discussed adjectives, WH and WR words, English words cannot end in V rule, we read about Aesop's Fables, discussed how a sentence needs three things, did some poetry, and discussed the other sounds of OW and OU.  

HANDWRITING continues to go well - the same but good!

This month we have been reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.  It has been so fun!

Overall, it really was a great month for learning!  We are slowly getting mostly back into our groove with school.  Here's hoping January goes even better!



No comments:

Post a Comment