Ever since we decided to buy this home I have been itching to make some changes to make it feel more like our home. I probably feel that way mostly because we had lived here for so long before it was ours and I never looked at it that way before so it's been nice to start the transition to more us.
We have a list that is insanely long...like, really long...of all the things we need/want to buy and do to make our home everything that we want it to be. And, trust me when I say, I know that this will take a good long time, and that is completely fine! But we were ready to at least put a couple checks on our list!
We decided to start with Sarah's bedroom, which seems kind of funny out of all of the places to start, but she didn't really have anything (and what she did have was Jacob's old stuff, that he needs - at least until we can update his room), so she was a mostly blank slate. Plus it seemed like a good, small, safe space to try out some of our ideas!
One of the many things I love about my Mom, was I always felt like she tried to make our bedrooms feel like ours. I remember her asking for my input and when things came together it felt like mine. I wanted to do the same thing for my kiddos. Plus, a theme is always fun to work with!
So when I asked our Sarah what she wanted, the immediate response was PINK! Sarah loves all things pink. If something isn't pink, she calls it pink. This drives Jacob, in particular, absolutely CRAZY! "You can call it blue, and I can call it pink, right?!" She kills me. And I love her.
ANYWAY, she wanted a pink room with mermaids. Now, Sarah has been on a mermaid kick for awhile now (it was her theme for her 3rd birthday too!). I don't really know where it all started because she thinks "The Little Mermaid" is scary and has hardly ever watched it but she loves mermaids!
So pink room with mermaids it is!
We have divided her project into three phases...yes, three. I do this for my own sanity more than anything. If anyone has any tips on how to accomplish anything "extra" in their time with three little kiddos I would love to hear it! But, so far, accomplishing these kinds of projects on my own just can't/doesn't happen on my own. So I have to wait for Mark's help on the weekends, assuming we don't have anything else going on. So, in other words, this could take some time! So dividing it up at least makes me feel like we are accomplishing things!
Phase I is complete!
| BEFORE |
| AFTER |
Phase I was purchasing and assembling all of her new furniture and removing baseboards and door frames as well as painting!
Even though we have so much left to do - we are all in love with how it is going! Her room is so light and airy now and we just love it. We cannot wait for the final product! And, most importantly, Sarah LOVES it. And when I am in her room, it just feels like Sarah. It is bright and happy and exactly like our little girl. WIN!
Now...on to Phase II.
No comments:
Post a Comment