Now, although it may seem silly to some, Abby was very much a part of our family for the last ten years and so it really has been an emotional ride dealing with the thoughts and the actuality of losing her. But, I have been blessed to be able to focus on all of the wonderful and endearing memories of Abby that we were able to create together over the last ten years.
For as long as I can remember, I wanted a dog. Really bad. I think I was kind of losing hope of it ever happening, until my fifteenth birthday rolled around. This is a Clegg family story that's been told and retold over the years and never fails to get a reaction amongst ourselves. When my family was moving to Utah my parents asked us if there was anything in particular we wanted (like our own room or something like that). I asked for a dog.
A couple years went by and my Dad and Megan were talking about my upcoming birthday. Megan then informed my Dad that he had made this "promise" to me and since he hadn't given me a dog, he was a "promise-breaker." My poor Dad. Well, my birthday arrives and a dog was the very last gift I was expecting to receive. But for my last present I pulled out a dog collar and immediately started crying. I am not sure if I thought it was some cruel joke or I was in complete shock, but I was then informed that we were getting a dog - today!
We piled in the car and I was able to pick out our adorable little Abby. In all honesty, I was planning on getting a boy dog, after all, I thought my Dad deserved to have a boy for a dog since he was already swimming in a sea of estrogen. But, Abby was just too perfect to pass up. So we added another girl to the family.
![]() |
| The first day we brought Abby home with us... |
I was on cloud nine for a good long while. I actually really loved taking Abby on walks and taking care of her. Although I always did find it amusing that she was the "family dog" most of the time, but then she would randomly be changed as "my dog" when she needed to be taken out. :) Either way, I loved having Abby.
Abby was never much of a cuddly dog. She definitely had some attitude. It was either her way or no way. Let's be honest, she was high-maintenance. But we loved her just the same. I loved the way she would lean up against my door early in the morning when I was still asleep. I loved how excited she would get the moment you would say "walk." I loved when you walked into the house and she'd come bounding up to see you and give you "loves." And no matter how long I had been away she always knew and loved me just the same.
And I loved how, despite her "attitude", she knew when you needed some loving. Remember when I said Abby wasn't much of a cuddly dog? Well, she would definitely pick her moments well though, and perhaps that made them mean even more. She seemed to know when you were having a bad night and would come and put her head in your lap or lick your leg.
One tender memory, which is one of the very last memories I have of Abby, is from our trip there in July. Abby's health was so poor at the time and she would often just lay down and cry. It was heartbreaking to see and hear. It was our first night there and Jacob had woken up in the middle of the night crying. I walked up to the room he was in and was sitting on the floor in the dark trying to calm Jacob down. I had left the door open slightly and I saw it open and in hobbled little Abby. I felt so bad for waking her up as she really seemed to struggle at night. But she came in and gave Jacob some "loves" on his head and then laid down against me. It was so hard to watch her labored breathing and soft whimpers as I held Jacob. I didn't want to move and cause her any distress but after ten minutes her crying became too much for me. I went and asked my Mom if I could give her any medicine to help with the pain she was feeling. I ended up moving Jacob to our room so that she wouldn't keep up Abby anymore. But I don't think I'll ever forget the way she so tenderly came in when someone was sad, gave them some love, and laid there with them. That's how I will remember, Abby.
She was a wonderful member of our family and she will be greatly missed.
Love and miss you Abs.

1.jpg)
2.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment