Saturday, February 2, 2013

Joy in the Journey

So this week I have definitely been guilty of NOT finding "joy in the journey."  I have found myself pretty much constantly daydreaming about various things.  Here are a few:

The day when Mark is done with school.  And he can come home from a job and just relax.  And we don't have to plan everything around exams.  And we can see a deposit come into our bank accounts rather than constant withdrawals.  

The day when we finally have a house of our own.  A house I can decorate for every single holiday.  A house with more storage space where I don't have to constantly be figuring our where I can shove something away.  A house where I can have a craft room. 

The day when we have a yard - a BIG yard.  Someplace on beautiful days when I can take Jacob and play and relax.  A yard where I can have my own garden and grow all sorts of yummy treats. 

The day when I will feel like I am not totally "winging" it as a mom.  The day when I have it all together, know exactly what Jacob needs and wants and the best way to help him. 

Just to name a few...

But THEN I thought of how ridiculous some of those things are.  Do I still want them - umm...YES!  However, my life right now though is pretty amazing because of MANY things.  Here are a few:

Every day Mark comes home from school and plays with Jacob despite his constant need to be studying.  Every day he comes home and gives me a kiss and tells me that he loves me.  And every day I can't wait for the next day with Mark. 

Every day I have a really nice place to wake up.  I get to call maintenance if there is ever a problem with our apartment and they fix it.  Cleaning our apartment takes about an hour - the whole thing: vacuuming, dusting, making beds, bathrooms, kitchen, the whole deal. 

Every day I look out my window and see a lake.  Granted it is man-made, but at least it gives us a nice barrier to the busy road.  And there is a trail that goes all around that I can take Jacob on walks.  And I don't have to worry about mowing the lawn every Saturday.

Every day I get the privilege of being a mother.  And I have a beautiful, healthy baby boy who I get to spend hours and hours with every day.  And we get to grow together.

I am a blessed woman.  And despite my wishing and hoping feelings earlier this week, I am definitely ending this week feeling very blessed.  Here's to finding joy in the journey.
 

"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, 
and share our love with friends and family."
-President Thomas S. Monson- 

3 comments:

  1. i think we're all guilty of having our own list of daydreams and "if only's", so don't think you're alone! love you elise. jacob looks so cute! give him a hug from zach and i :)

    ReplyDelete