Saturday, February 9, 2013

Children of God

My thoughts as of late have been turned toward one simple statement:

"I am a Child of God"

This statement is one that I have been told over and over throughout my life.  I feel incredibly blessed that when I was a twelve, I received a firm and immovable testimony of this statement.  As humbling as it is, I know that my Father in Heaven knows me.  And I know He loves me.  I know that He wants me to be happy.  I know that He has great expectations for my life and He wants me to become the individual I was meant to be.

Becoming a mom in June to this handsome, sweet little boy has brought increased emotions to this simple statement for me.  It is truly remarkable the amount of love that I immediately had for that little boy.  I would do anything for him and want nothing more than for him to have a happy and healthy life filled with peace and love.  And if as his earthly mother, I have that great amount of love and dreams for his life - I can only imagine what his Heavenly Parents feel for him, and in turn, what they must feel for me.

It is pretty amazing to think what such a simple statement, if everybody knew it, would do to change the world.  If everyone knew that they weren't alone.  If everyone knew that they were loved beyond measure.

My favorite book of all time is Little Women.  I read it every year.  And every time I get something new from it.  I have a page permanently marked though because of this counsel that Marmee gives to her daughter, Jo:

"If I don't seem to need help, it is because I have a better friend, even than father, to comfort and sustain me.  My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one.  The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom.  His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness,and strength.  Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother."

These are the kinds of things I hope to teach my son.

I feel like there are a lot of negative things being said about women in the Church, from members of the Church.  My sphere of influence is incredibly small, and I am okay with that.  But I just felt like I needed to put my two-cents out there into the world.

The greatest blessing in my life is being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I count this as my greatest blessing for many reasons, but one of them being that we believe that every individual is a child of God.  I am grateful for the great responsibilities I have been given as a woman to continue "the work and glory of God" here on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment