Sunday, December 9, 2012

Live and Learn

This has been an interesting week.  I don't really know where to begin.  It was SO wonderful to be able to spend some time with my parents just one-on-one.  That hasn't happened in a very long time.  In fact, I honestly don't remember the last time - probably pre-marriage.  I loved that they were also able to spend some time with Jacob in a more low-key setting.

And although that aspect of the week was truly wonderful we were kind of having a hard time in other ways.  Mostly Jacob.  I mentioned this a little in the prior post, but Jacob honestly never could seem to get into a groove there.  And let me tell you, that little boy of mine is a champ.  He was probably just acting like a "regular" baby, but he wasn't acting like my baby.  Does that make sense?  He was just a lot more temperamental and wasn't sleeping hardly at all.  I kept thinking he would adjust and it just wasn't happening.  His naps got shorter and shorter (going down to twenty minutes only - normal for him is about two hours) and he was waking up at least once an hour during the night.  It was exhausting.

Also, I was so frustrated with myself because of my severe mistakes in packing.  Do you remember that I am taking an online class at BYU?  Well, I think I mentioned a couple posts ago that I was trying to get a bunch of it done so that I could take both my midterm AND final while I was home.  So this is basically all I had planned on doing while home for this week and a half before Mark got here.  Well guess who forgot their book?  Me.  So basically, I could do nothing for my class.  It was completely my own fault and I was so frustrated with myself.

My parents were amazingly wonderful.  They had made everything as comfortable as could be.  But by Friday I was just thinking that maybe we had made a mistake by coming for as long as we had planned.  We are definitely first time parents and this was the first time traveling with Jacob and I think we just didn't really plan on Jacob having such a hard time.  Plus, we just decided that maybe five weeks away from home is just a long time for all of us.

So late Friday we made the decision that we were going to come back home early and we would come back a couple days before Christmas and spend about two and a half weeks there instead.  It was actually a really hard decision to make and it was definitely not made without some tears.  The only way we really felt okay about doing it was knowing that we would be back so soon.  But I know it disrupted some plans.

Overall, I am just calling this whole experience a "live and learn" type of thing.  It's just one more adjustment to parenting - which I know there will be many more.  We are excited to be able to go back and spend Christmas with family, but also be able to spend some down time here in Denver with our own little family as well.  Growing up is rough business.  And I guess this is just one more growing pain to go through.

So as of right now, we are ALL back home in Denver for now.  We love and miss you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment