Monday, May 8, 2017

Growing Up

Every month we take Jacob on a date.  Mark and I switch off and I really look forward to it.  We've done it for awhile now and will start it with the other kiddos as they get older.  We hope it will really show the kids that they are important and open the lines of communication with some one-on-one time - which I know will only be more and more important the older they get.  

A couple weeks ago I took Jacob on a date to the park.  We went down the slide a million times, played tether ball, ran around chasing each other and went on a walk down the boardwalk to the lake.  It was perfect.  

It also made me a little sad.  I've been a little sad about Jacob recently.  The reality of him going to kindergarten is hitting me HARD.  It feels like the end of a chapter in our family.  Jacob will start to spend more time away from home and it just makes me sad.  It is the beginning of formal school for our family.  We will be in that stage for a L-O-N-G time and I am just not sure if I am ready to say goodbye to this stage.  

I love my Jacob.  I love that he still will grab for my hand and walk with me.  I know those days are probably numbered.  As much as I sometimes yearn for the days when he will just play on his own and not depend so heavily on me to "entertain" him - I also know that these days are precious where he wants to spend time with me.  

Growing up is just making me a little sad.  I can't believe he will be five next month!  I am proud of who Jacob is becoming.  I hope I can always be the Mom that he needs.  So stay little for a little longer little man.  I love you.    




No comments:

Post a Comment