Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I Am a Child of God

This year for family home evening has been really fun so far!  I wanted to incorporate something more big kid - because, believe it or not, my kiddos are getting bigger!  Since Jacob is in Primary now as a Sunbeam we started to receive The Friend magazine every month.  This year in Primary, they are focusing on the scriptures and every month in The Friend they spotlight a Book of Mormon hero.  We have loved it!

The first FHE of every month we spotlight our hero for the month.  I print off their picture big for the fridge (and also a small laminated one for Jacob to keep in his Book of Mormon) and I introduce who they are and we watch a video about them and talk about what makes them a hero.  So far we have done Nephi - who was obedient (but half the time I get told he is a hero because he built a boat :)), Enos - who was prayerful, and this month we introduced Abinadi - who was courageous (and let me tell you, hearing Jacob say "Abinadi" is adorable).  I have been so proud of Jacob because he really seems to be learning their stories and is gives us an opportunity to also talk about these good virtues as well and how we can live them in our home.  It has been a great thing to add to our FHE.  Plus, it never hurts to throw in a "we need to try and be more obedient like Nephi" phrase into our daily life!

Our lessons are evolving too with Jacob and Sarah getting older.  We had a lesson on being a child of God yesterday and it was so sweet.  I truly believe we can not talk about this topic enough.  I feel so strongly that my children need to know and really internalize that they are children of God.  We talked about how our Heavenly Father knows and loves them.  And how we can become more like Him and that each one of them has an important work to do on earth.  I believe this so strongly and am so grateful that my Father in Heaven has given me these two for forever.  

I love them and know that their Heavenly Father does too.  

These dolls were WAY too fun - Sarah was very focused on taking her dolls clothes on and off - she could not be distracted by silliness such as taking a picture!

1 comment: