Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Sunbeams

So I had mixed feelings about Jacob starting Sunbeams.  Obviously, I was so excited but it felt like a really big step for me.  Sometimes I think in my mind (or vent to Mark) that I am so ready for Jacob to just get a little older and out of this "threenager" stage.  I have to remind myself that it will be over faster than I want.  This was one of those moments when I was reminded that it is all over faster than I really want.  

We had been talking up Sunbeams for weeks.  Jacob LOVES nursery!  A LOT!  Ever since day one of nursery he has never had a problem - even with all of the moving around we did!  He's always been excited to be in nursery.  Since I used to teach Sunbeams back in our Garden City days I knew that the true test of how things were going to be was the second week in Sunbeams.  

The first week went okay.  We talked it up, Jacob had gotten his own Book of Mormon for Christmas to take with him, and he seemed okay.  But after sacrament meeting when we went to the Primary room and not nursery Jacob was definitely hesitant.  He did not want to sit down with his class.  When I finally convinced him to sit down he wanted to sit on the opposite end of the row from everyone else.  I tried to convince him that it would be nice to go and sit with his friends but he was not interested.  Luckily his teacher came and he sat down with Jacob and I left and all was well.  

I was so excited to go pick up Jacob after Church to see how it went.  He seemed fine - maybe a little confused as to what was going on but fine.  When I asked him how Sunbeam was, his reply was, "I don't want to talk about Sunbeams."  Okay.  

I was really nervous about how the second week would go.  I tried to talk in up even more the whole week but he did not want to even  talk about Sunbeams.  Mark was in Twin Falls working and so I was doing church solo.  This week they were just going straight to their classrooms.  I walked Jacob to his class and the minute I opened the door we had a major meltdown.  I am holding Sarah in one arm and Jacob is completely freaking out.  He is screaming - which is something he very rarely does in public (thank goodness!).  I am trying to talk to him and he just wanted nothing to do with it.  He was screaming, "I AM NOT GOING IN THERE!" over and over...and over again.  

Bless his teachers - they are so perfect for this calling.  They very kindly took Jacob and told him it was going to be okay and just closed the door.  Of course, again being in those teachers shoes before, knew this was what had to be done.  I felt bad leaving him though - mostly because I didn't want it to start a domino effect with the other kids in his class.  

When I came to pick him up he was smiling and seemed a-okay.  So all of that being said, transitioning to sunbeams has been a little rough.  But he seems more and more open to the idea every time I talk to him about it.  We went on a mommy-son breakfast date this last week and talked about it and he seemed to be more relaxed about it then he has in the past.  

We missed this last week because both Jacob and Sarah have been sick but we are crossing our fingers for a smoother transition next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment