Friday, September 7, 2012

Missionary Work

This last Monday, Mark's parents left to serve their second mission together for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  About a month and a half ago they were called to serve in the South Dakota Rapid City Mission. 

I cannot even tell you how proud I am to have such wonderful examples of service in my family.  I never served a full-time mission for the Church, nor have I had any of my siblings serve missions.  I have had many friends and cousins which helped me better understand the sacrifice and the service they were giving but for some reason Gus and Darlene going has really impacted me a lot.

During Jacob's little short life so far, I have had many special and sweet experiences of his sweet spirit and his potential.  I'll tell you what - I LOVE being a mom.  There is no doubt in my mind that he is a son of God and I feel both overwhelmed and extremely blessed to be his mother here on earth.  I really hope I make my heavenly parents proud.

Thinking of the life that is ahead of Jacob, there is obviously a million unknowns.  I don't know what he is going to be when he grows up and I don't know the girl he will someday marry.  And I don't know if he will someday serve a mission.  However, I sincerely hope that when the time comes that he will be prepared and have a personal desire to be ready to say, "I'll go where you want me to go." 

I have been overwhelmed with gratitude lately with all of this in mind, of Jacob's grandparents going to serve a mission.  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said,

"What greater gift could grandparents give their posterity than to say by deed as well as word, 'In this family we serve missions!"

I am so grateful and blessed to have a wonderful second mom and dad that are giving this great gift not only to Jacob but to our other little kiddos that will someday join our family.  They have truly set an example - both by word and by deed.  Thank you so much.  Love and miss you.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful thoughts and a lovely tribute to Mark's parents. They are wonderful examples to all of us.

    ReplyDelete