DRUMROLL PLEASE....I FINALLY got a job! This has been a crazy week in the ways of job hunting. Last Friday I actually got offered a job but declined it because the commute was just going to be way too long. It was easily going to be at least a two hour commute everyday and with one car right now that just didn't seem like such a good idea. A lot of thought went into this as we were worried to decline (just in case another job didn't present itself) but we just didn't feel good about it.
Tuesday of this week I got a call for an interview with a school district I hadn't interviewed with before. It was a brand new school with a lot of really neat programs. Wednesday I went in for the interview with the three directors of the school and felt like it went really well. They told me I would know their decision by Thursday.
THEN Wednesday night before I went to bed I checked my e-mail. I don't usually do this (since I am home all day and check my e-mail throughout the day) but for some reason that night I did. And in my inbox I had an e-mail from a school I had interviewed with over a month ago. I had absolutely LOVED the school and the people all seemed wonderful and friendly (something I haven't experienced much of here - unfortunately) and the job was actually something I was interested in and wanted. But then the school ended up having to hire another teacher and so they didn't have enough funding to hire me on as well. I told them to keep me in mind if something else changed.
So the principal e-mailed me and asked me if I was still available because they had a position that had opened up. I was floored. Here I was waiting to here back from another job (that looked really promising) when I get this opportunity as well. I quickly devised an e-mail telling her that I was very interested but was on a bit of a time crunch, because if I was offered the job at the other school I didn't want to tell them an "I don't know." Also, the job that was listed when I went on the district website was a different job then I had originally interviewed for for a lot less pay and less hours. I asked for the specifics and asked if she could get back to me as soon as possible.
The next morning I woke up and at 6:30 AM she wrote me back saying she was going to talk to some people and see what they could work out. Five minutes later I received another e-mail saying that they could offer the other job to me, at three dollars more an hour than originally states, and during the full school schedule. I was thrilled.
So I am now the newest employee of Montclair Elementary School. It is an older school in the heart of Denver but it seems like it is in an okay neighborhood with good people in charge. My official title is the Reading and Writing Specialist. Basically (my understanding of it is) that I will be working with grades 3-5 devising lesson plans for small groups in different reading levels to help them achieve to the best of their abilities. I am really excited for this because it allows me to still be coming up with my own curriculum and work with students and hopefully help them achieve their fullest potential. I am just excited to get into the swing of things again.
I feel so incredibly blessed with this opportunity. I am so grateful that Mark and I listened to the Spirit throughout all of this and waited for this opportunity to present itself. I really feel like I will be able to learn a lot from this experience and the environment. Can't wait to start!

Congratulations, Elise! Pinterest has a ton of AMAZING literacy ideas. I print loads of stuff from there to use with my kids during guided reading. :)
ReplyDeleteLike like like! Yay! I'm so happy you have a job now! I hope it is great and that you love it, you will be great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Denae for the idea. I keep thinking I should get into Pinterest, but I hear it is pretty addicting so I have been a little nervous to start. Maybe I can use this as my excuse now :) And thanks Lauren, so grateful something FINALLY worked out!
ReplyDelete