
When my family moved to Utah in the summer of 2001 we were greeted by Brenda. She lived only ten minutes away and had now become our closest relative. She was so incredibly kind to us girls when we first moved here and were so lonely. She had a hot tub off of her patio and would invite us over frequently on weekends to take a soak. I loved these times just sitting and relaxing in the hot tub. These were usually followed up by late nights watching movies with popcorn in her fully decorated Coca-Cola room.
Brenda had a way of making everyone feel comfortable. As soon as you met her you felt like you had to have known her your whole life. I remember in seventh grade, I was attending Crescent View Middle School which was probably just about a mile from her home. I had to stay late at school to make up a test or something and there was no one to pick me up. I had been out in a portable and the school was locked to use the pay phone in there. I remember it raining that day. And the thought came to me that I should walk to Brenda's house. I don't know WHY I thought she would be there but I started walking there. She had told me where her hide-a-key was and I figured that at least if she wasn't home I could go inside and use her phone to call my Mom.
Well, I walked there in the rain and found the house empty. I walked towards the back to find the hide-a-key and couldn't find it anywhere. I felt so silly and ridiculous. I sat down on her front porch in the rain and waited for her to get home. When she finally did I remember a stunned face when she saw me - immediately followed by one of Brenda's amazing laughs. She took me inside, wrapped me in a blanket, showed me EXACTLY where the key was, and I was able to call home. She would tease me about that frequently.
Brenda was also the one who cut my hair once we moved here. I loved being able to sit there and just talk with her. She would always be so interested in my life and all that was going on. I remember she was so happy for me when we finally got little Abby, our dog, as she loved her own dogs so much.
The last time I saw Brenda was in late July. It was right before Mark and I moved to Denver. We were home for the weekend to say goodbye to my family and my Dad told me that he was going down to have Brenda cut his hair. I asked if I could tag along. I hadn't had Brenda cut my hair since I had moved away for college but for some reason I went with him. We sat there for a little over an hour and just talked. She cut my hair, and insisted that I not pay her, telling her it was a going-away present.
Brenda was always giving, always helping other people. This last week I became more and more aware of the hardships that she had in her life. I never knew because she never complained about them. I loved her so much. She was truly a sparkling light in the family.
During her funeral, I was able to have what I feel was a very sweet and tender experience. The family had chosen sunflowers to be the main flower for the funeral. This flower fits perfectly for Brenda. But as we were congregated together as a family I was drawn to one particular flower - a sunflower. All of the other sunflowers were pointed upwards, facing the light - except for one. It's face was pointing towards where I knew Brenda's face was inside. Some thoughts entered my mind immediately. It is a commonly known thought that sunflowers face the sun. Whether in actuality this is true or not, this flower has been a symbol and tender thought in my mind over the last couple of days. That is pointed itself towards Brenda.
I will miss my wonderful Aunt Brenda the rest of my life. It is always so tragic when a life so well lived is lost so soon. However, I don't think I will ever look at a sunflower the same again. Brenda, you were a light to everyone. Your laugh and enthusiasm will forever be remembered. I am a better person for knowing you. I love you and will miss you - until we meet again.
Dear Elise,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your aunt's passing; it is so difficult when someone we love is taken from us unexpectedly. I am glad that Mark is there to comfort you and I hope that you feel more at peace as time goes on. Please call me if you want to talk or need anything. I love you very much.
Love, Lauren
Thanks for all of the support Lauren. I am so happy to have the gospel plan.
ReplyDelete