ANYWAY, so I presented this idea to Mark a couple of weeks ago and he liked it. In fact, he immediately agreed as long as we came up with some rules first. I hope I remember all of them, if now, I am sure he will correct me :).
RULE #1: Each member of the family gets to draw a state from the bag. Then a final drawing is conducted from the states drawn.
RULE #2: Each member of the family is allowed one veto a year - which means if a member of the family is disgusted with the idea of the vacation spot for the year, another drawing is done, however that is that individual's only veto.
RULE #3: This process does not eliminate the possibilities for other "just for fun" family vacations to a state already gone to. For example, California has an IMMENSE amount of possibilities for vacations: San Diego, Disneyland, Redwoods, etc.
I think these were all of the ground rules, though I guess we can maybe add to them as needed.
SO...all of that being said, we had our first drawing for our first Berning family vacation! We did this a couple of weeks ago on our eleven hour drive home from Mesa with only a few minor adjustments. We used our fast food paper bag for our "hat" and the back side of Mark's pharmacy interview itinerary for our paper. But here was the outcome:
Mark----------------ARIZONA
Elise-----------------IOWA
Haha, it still makes me laugh at our first choices. First of all, we were already IN the state of Arizona at the time of the drawing AND Iowa is probably one of those states you don't immediately think of vacationing in. However, during our final drawing ARIZONA was picked!
After making sure that Mark was aware that our current trip did NOT count for our family vacation, we started brainstorming ideas for places to go. I have had so much fun researching about different things to do in Arizona but it was pretty easy for us to decide what our "main attraction" was going to be - THE GRAND CANYON! I went to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago with my family to Havasupai but Mark has never gone.
We decided to go the end of May before my crazy summer job starts (and before the EXTREME hot weather of Arizona hits). We are going to an Arizona Diamondbacks game and then heading up to the Grand Canyon and will stay at the Bright Angel Cabins located on the rim of the Grand Canyon for a couple of days of hiking and just taking in the whole thing.
I am SO excited - and it will be nice to get away without any interviews!



Fantastic! Romantic place for a real "honeymoon."
ReplyDeleteI love that idea sissy! Maybe not the whole hiking, getting dirty thing, but nonetheless sounds super! Take lots of pictures :)
ReplyDelete