For Christmas I got Melina and Megan a "sister date" to the Homestead Crater in Midway. I had been there before but had never swam in it and Melina and Megan had both never even heard of it so it was exciting to do something new for all of us - together!
Just some background on the crater - because I think that it is really interesting. The Crater is a geothermal spring, inside of a 55-foot dome. It took over 10,000 years to make and formed when melting snow from the mountains seeped two miles below the surface and the Earth's interior heated the water. As it percolated upward, it picked up minerals which were then deposited on the surface, eventually forming the dome on the surface. The base of the dome is 400 feet and the crater goes 65 feet below the surface. Amazing!
My Mom came over and watched the little kidlets for me and we headed over to Midway. Megan was a little nervous about entering the "crater" but it was really fascinating to me. They have dug out a tunnel that goes straight to the water. And bonus, our swim even included snorkel gear.
I had never been snorkeling before so that was exciting for me. When we got in the water it was so relaxing. The water felt unbelievably good. It was so warm and on the surface it was 95 degrees that day. Yep, perfect.
Megan and Melina showed me the ropes with the snorkel gear and it was so interesting to just swim and float and look under the water at the divers (when we could occasionally see them). The crater itself is so interesting to look at and it was such a relaxing experience.
| There's a hole at the top of the crater to let in light and air. I think it would be amazing to come in the winter when it's snowing! |
| The walls of the crater. |
I had a great time and I hope the girls did too! It was definitely fun to just have some "sister time"! And I hope I can go back to the crater again someday - definitely a unique experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment