Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Graduation

Graduation Day.  
I still can't believe we made it to this day!

There was a lot of talk about what was going to happen graduation day with regards to the weather.  Everything was planned to be outside.  And early Friday morning Mark checked his email to find that they were indeed moving forward with all of the graduation activities outdoors.  It was cold (40s) and rainy.  Bless my mother for thinking ahead (because I sure didn't!) and brought towels to wipe down the chairs, blankets, and tons of umbrellas.  

We got all ready and trekked down to campus.  I was so lucky to have both Gus and Darlene and my parents there to help with the kids so that I could focus on what was happening with graduation.  The first ceremony started at 8:30 on campus and it was for all of the schools at the medical campus.  We were told not to use our umbrellas so that everyone could see and so became wet very quickly.  My Mom took Sarah inside one of the buildings next to us to keep her warm while I snuggled with Jacob on the chairs.  It was neat to see all of the different programs that are available and to meet as one big group to start things off.  The ONE positive thing about the rain - shortened program!  That was nice.  The ceremony only lasted about 40 minutes - WOOT WOOT!


We were so happy though because right after it was over we found the Zurchers!  We were really hoping to see them!  They were the first people we met (as they approached us while we were unloading out truck when we moved to Denver!) and have been such great friends.  It has been so nice to have gone through the last four years together.  So much has changed for us.  Neither one of us had any kids and now we have two and they have one little girl and are expecting their second!  We are so happy for them and excited for them as they move to Reno!


We tried to get warm a little bit inbetween ceremonies.  The next one was just for the School of Pharmacy and so was definitely the BIG ONE for us!  We headed over there and right before it started the rain finally let up!  Although the damage had kind of been done - really people, I should have gotten some extra sleep and not worried about my hair or my outfit (it was SO much cuter without the sweater!).  Perspective, I know...perspective. 


Anyway, the program was really nice.  The whole day was strange in a way though.  I kept reminding myself to try and "be in the moment" and really feel all that Mark and our family had accomplished.  It just wasn't sinking in yet though.  That is, until they started the hooding part of the ceremony.  Mark was one of the firsts (one of the perks of having a "B" name!), and when they said his name and he walked across the stage I truly don't think I have ever been more proud in my entire life.  And, of course, I started crying. 


Mark truly amazes me.  He has done this program flawlessly as far as I am concerned - as a student, but also as a husband and father.  Mark and I decided early on that we would sacrifice what we needed to so that he didn't have to work and could just focus on his academics.  He wanted to do well in school, not just the minimum to scrape by.  And he did!  He was admitted into the Rho Chi Society (which you have to be invited to) for how well he did academically.  He knows and cares about what he has learned and wants to do his best.  He is completely self-motivated to do all that he can to excel.  And I know that what he did made a difference because of the many people that approached him at the banquet complimenting him and telling him what an impact he made in several programs.  For all of that, Mark should be so proud - because I sure am.  

But what I am even more grateful for is how unbelievably attentive Mark has been as both a husband and father.  Before Mark started school I had been warned by many, and I know that some of it made it's way to Mark, about the loneliness I would feel having a husband in a demanding program.  I can honestly say that Mark did absolutely everything he could have done to make me feel appreciated and loved the last four years.  I always knew that we came first.  Mark always came home from school after his classes and studied at home.  I knew that was not convenient for him and usually meant that he had to stay up later to get everything done that he needed to - but that's what he did.  He always made time for me and the kids.  He never brought his school anxieties home with him.  I could not have asked (or dreamed) of a better man than he was and is to us. 

Mark, I am so proud of you.  You are such an incredible example to me and our children.  I love you.  Plus, it's kind of fun calling you "doctor."  


And just for kicks and giggles - at his white coat ceremony the week before school started to graduation!


1 comment: