Saturday, September 21, 2013

Roxborough State Park

FAMILY FUN!  To enjoy the last day of summer we went to Roxborough State Park.  It was beautiful.  We went and hiked down the Fountain Valley Trail.  It was beautiful and a perfect morning to do it.  I love this area of Colorado for the red rocks nestled in a green setting.  It makes for a beautiful contrast. 






The trail started out in one direction and then splits to go into a loop.  At the far end of the loop is this house built by Henry Persse in the early 1900s.  He had meant to build a resort there - kind of interesting.  The resort never happened and we were grateful because it's such a beautiful area. 



Shortly after we had left the house we had a little bit of excitement.  We turned a corner and a small group told us that they had just seen a black bear up ahead and to be on the lookout.  I must say, at first I just wanted to turn around and go back up the loop the way we had come.  But we kept going forward and I quickly asked Mark what I was supposed to do if I saw a bear - act big or be quiet?  Well, I'll tell you this much, my eyes were scanning the brush like crazy! 


I think what was making me the most anxious was that the area we were hiking in had this deep brush on both sides and it was just hard to see and I just didn't want to come along it and startle it.  We walked a little ways and didn't see anything and started to relax a little bit and then saw some very fresh "remains" left by a bear.  We walked further and we got to a little grove and Mark and I are positive there was a bear in there.  We could definitely hear the bear.  It was a little creepy.  Not being able to see anything but know that it's there.  Uggg...Mark was a little disappointed because he had never seen a bear in the wild before but I was just fine. 

Jacob was unaffected by the bear walking around :)


Anyway, it was a great morning hike and we enjoyed being out in some beautiful nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment