Let me go back in time just a little bit though. I debated within myself to even write about this but it's been a big part of our life the last couple of months and so should be documented.
It all started back when I was pregnant with Jacob. I wish I could say that I was one of those women that feels the "pregnancy glow" but I am just not. I didn't love the way that I looked and in all honesty, I knew that it would probably be difficult to get back into shape. I've never been a super "skinny" girl and it definitely just doesn't happen naturally for me - I just don't have that body type and I accepted that a couple years ago.
However, that didn't and doesn't mean that I don't want and need to be healthy. Now, I really don't feel like Mark and I were eating "bad" we ate lots of fruits and veggies but our biggest problem was snacking and overeating. The result was that we just weren't really happy about our bodies.
I was beginning to feel pretty bad about it. I was trying to make changes in our diet and exercise and literally nothing was changing. After months and months of this I finally went to the doctor to see if there was something wrong. I literally hadn't lost a single pound (other than the weight of Jacob) from when I was pregnant! Seriously. It was frustrating to say the least. And I was actually really hesitant to even go see the doctor because I didn't want it to seem like I was just trying to find some quick fix, I just didn't understand how it was possible. But it was possible. The tests all came back fine and I was (other than my weight) totally healthy.
Mark wasn't totally exempt from this, he was beginning to lose weight, but not as much as he would have liked either. So, we decided that we needed to make a lifestyle change. And, oh my goodness, I am so glad that we did! The last two months our lives really have changed in a lot of ways, and like I said at the beginning, I am pretty proud of us.
For the first time in my life we started counting calories. And it has been such an eye-opening experience. We have become so much more aware of what and how much we eat. It has also even changed how I view food. We have even changed how we work out. We are now consistently working out in the ways that work best for us. We feel great. Really great. And even though we hope to continue slimming down in some areas, we feel like we are behaving and eating healthier than we ever have.
Now for the real kicker. So, in the last couple months Mark has lost 45 pounds. That's right. I have lost 25 pounds. So, to wrap it up, we are just really happy with the choices we are making right now with regards to our health. Things are good.
Also, Mark teased me about whether or not I was going to put up before and after pictures of us. The answer is no. But hopefully you'll be able to notice more and more as the months progress in our regular pictures.
But what's a post without pictures?! You get Jacob! :)
You are the second person who has mentioned counting calories recently to me. I have never done it but i wonder if it would make us more ware of our eating habits. I am totally impressed with how much weight you have lost! Nice job to both of you!
ReplyDeletePs. I also feel like the things about life that you post, are things i am going through. Like you are 3 mo ahead of me in life. So i love getting your insights! Keep it up!
Oh well thank you! It's so nice to know that we really are right in the same stage of life together. Oh and I need to see more pictures of your cute little family! :)
ReplyDelete