Monday, July 29, 2013

Heritage Park

Since we were in Utah over the 24th I felt like we definitely should do something pioneer-y.  We decided we would go spend the morning up at This is the Place Heritage Park.  It was so much fun.  I definitely think I would make it a tradition if we lived there.  This was my first time actually going inside the park and it was so neat. 

We got there just in time for them for the flag ceremony and then they shot off the cannon twice (and even filled it up with candy!).  I loved going to the different houses and reading about the families and things that took place inside the different buildings. 






We spent quite a while listening to how they made the newspaper back in the day.  It was really interesting.  And they even let some volunteers work the presses and this month they were printing off copies of The Declaration of Independence.  So neat!  It definitely put things into perspective and all I could think about was how tedious it must have been to print anything, such as The Book of Mormon.  Amazing - just amazing. 




We also went and walked around the barn where you could pet all of the animals.  Jacob didn't seem to have any fear of the animals, more just curious.  He did pet a pig and a goat though!




We also spent some time in the blacksmith shop.  I learned so much about the job and how long it takes to become a blacksmith.  And we think four years of college is a long time!  It took seven years of being an apprentice and then most would travel before settling down.  Crazy. 



Of course we had to stop in the saloon to get some ice cream cones, and then we went into the bank on our way out. 




It was an absolutely PERFECT day.  It was cloudy and comfortable.  Once we were all done we walked around the main monument and we thought of our pioneer ancestors.  And then we had Grandma and Jacob pose next to the monument with our very own pioneer ancestor, Thomas Cloward, on it who was with Brigham Young and that original group as they entered the Salt Lake Valley.  I am so grateful for our pioneer ancestors and the example that they set for all of us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment