As far as activities or fun things go, it was a pretty blah kind of week, nothing really exciting going on. Mark had a big test that he was studying for all week that he took on Friday. I am sure he nailed it! But he has two papers, two quizzes, and a test next week (ew!).
I admire and look up to that hubby of mine so much. He works so hard for our little family and seriously never complains. He gets next to no sleep most every night and still just powers through it all. I am so glad that he sees an education as a blessing and always remembers the end result of all of this. I am also grateful for how he loves Jacob and me. He is so good about taking time every day to spend time with each of us, and I know that that is probably hard to remember with the zillion other things going on in his mind, but I am very grateful. Love you.
Life this week for me - well, I have definitely learned some things. I have learned that if you put rice (that you ruined, who knew you could mess up rice?!) down the garbage disposal that it will clog, leaving you with a WONDERFUL smell for three days until maintenance comes to fix it. But the biggest lesson I have learned is that everything is not going to get done every day. I've been feeling frustrated that I seem to never get everything done in the day that I want to: exercise, scripture study, laundry, cleaning of the house in general, etc. But that it is okay. I just need to remember what is most important and just work from there. Elder Oak's talk about "good, better, best" has definitely been running through me mind. And I am just trusting that if I do those "best" things that the rest will all just fall into place.
As for little Jacob, he just continues to GROW and GROW! He had his four month checkup on Thursday. The highlight of these is to see how much Jacob now weighs. Mark's guess was 18 lbs, mine was 19 lbs, we were both hoping to be overshooting. Oh boy, Jacob came in at 20 lbs, 4 oz - WHAT?! Seriously, the boy is off the charts, no longer in a percentile. Wow. I keep thinking he is going to level off but he just keeps on going. For some perspective, technically, you are supposed to be in 12 month size clothers at 20 1/2 pounds. Hmmm...that's like right now. We just started putting him in nine months last week. Wow.
I will admit though, Jacob's appointment was kind of discouraging for me. They have you fill out these questionnaires about different things and whether or not your child is doing them/how frequently and such. There were only two or three things that we felt like Jacob wasn't really doing yet and were feeling pretty good about things. But when our doctor was going through it she made the comment (and then made it again two more times after that) that I needed to be working with Jacob more to achieve these things so he doesn't get behind. I am SURE she didn't mean to make me feel bad or anything, but it really made me feel bad. I don't feel like Jacob is behind at all. And it was a little frustrating to me that at the top of the questionnaire is says that this only shows what our child has the potential to do at this age and that every child will meet milestones at different times. So it made me confused to then feel like I was somehow a bad mom because Jacob hadn't achieved everything yet. I am sure I was just having an over-sensitive moment, but it made me feel bad. I don't want my focus to be on Jacob completing some sort of checklist by some deadline.
Uggg...sorry for my little rant. It was just hard for me. Trying to not think about it too much (as you can tell I am doing a really good job at that!).
Let's move on to much happier things!
Jacob continues to just be the greatest little thing in our lives. We love that little munchkin so much.
This week he finally started to take an interest in his toys. Granted, he only has three, but he finally seems to want to play with them a little. EXCITING!
He is also a chatterbox! Seriously, this little guy never stops making noise. Here are some of the ways he likes to vocalize his opinions :)
Mark took this video last weekend while I was running some errands. Cracks me up!
This is what Jacob sounds like when he is supposed to be taking his nap. This is also what we hear all night long and wake up to in the morning. I don't know WHEN that little guy sleeps! But if I have to hear an alarm in the morning, this is a pretty good one to hear :)
Elise! I know how you feel about your child being behind thing. When I went to Talmage's 12 month check up they make you fill out a questionnaire too. I went through thinking...does Talmage really do this? And then I compare him to his cousin who is only 2 weeks older who is WAY ahead of my little guy and I feel like such a bad parent! Daniel is worried our little guy might be behind too, but you know what? They will be fine. You are a great mom, I'm sure, and just because they don't do everything on some checklist doesn't make you a bad mom, or mean that something is wrong with them. Babies develop at their own paces. Anyways, sorry this comment is long. I just wanted to sympathize with you and tell you that everything will be alright.
ReplyDeleteThanks Amie! Yea, it was kind of a cruddy moment but they happen I suppose. I think our little guy is happy and healthy and that's all that matters to me at this point. By the way, when is your new little one supposed to come?
ReplyDelete