So last night we had a very interesting visit to the doctor. I am going every week now and the only time they had available this week was at 6:45 with a doctor I had never met before. We were definitely the last appointment of the day, and I felt bad because I made it probably a little too exciting for them.
When they checked my blood pressure it was apparently really high (again, I really SHOULD learn what it all means, but they are all numbers to me). The nurse went and double and triple checked before going and getting the doctor. I got to do the whole "pee in a cup" schpiel and they started running some tests. They also did yet another ultrasound to make sure that the baby was doing okay and checking the fluid around him.
Kind of interesting.
Now, I will stop really quick and take a moment to tell you some of my feelings this last week, especially yesterday. I have two and half weeks left and to be honest - I am READY to meet this little guy. Not only are we so excited but, honestly, I am just so tired (physically, mentally, emotionally) of feeling not good every day. I know this sounds completely selfish - and unfortunately it probably is - but pregnancy has definitely been the roughest physical thing BY FAR I have ever done. I feel so blessed to be able to have children but it has been a hard experience for me. I truly don't remember how it feels to go a day without feeling sick in some way or another and I am looking forward to getting good health back. And I really hope this doesn't come across as incredibly whiny, I just wished my body could have adapted a little better.
Anyway, so after running some of these tests, this doctor felt like we should "take a little walk over to labor and delivery." WHAT?!
As Mark and I started walking over to the next building (which is the main hospital) I was completely freaking out in my head. One second I wanted to cry because I did NOT feel ready for this at all, the next I was super happy because we were going to FINALLY meet our little guy, next worrying about the whole process of labor, next wondering if the house was clean for all of the family that are supposed to come once the baby's here, and the list goes on...
So we took the "little walk" upstairs to labor and delivery and they got me all set up in a room. They hooked me up to all of the fun stuff and basically went to take more tests. The doctor came in and told us that there were pretty much two different options.
Option #1 - Gestational Hypertension: Pretty much I have high blood pressure due to the pregnancy. No real treatment but they just watch the pregnancy a lot more closely. I go home.
Option #2 - Pre-eclampsia: More intense, don't really know a lot about it, other then it results in inducing the baby. I stay at the hospital - baby comes.
To be honest, after the doctor left and told us what the two options were, I had ZERO idea what I wanted it to be. Our little guy was just doing great (he was hooked up to a baby monitor and they said he was just having a good old time in there). But, just like before, my mind was running a million different places. Even now, I don't know what I "wanted" to have happen.
Since I am writing this the morning after, you can probably assume that things went with Option #1 (though I did wake up this morning thinking, "oh my goodness, there was a possibility that I could have been a mom by now...). I now get to pee into a jug for the next 24 hours and then hand deliver it tomorrow morning (oh how fun that will be!). Also, they are having me come in twice a week now to monitor the baby and me. CRAZY!
I'll tell you what, this pregnancy experience has been one crazy roller coaster ride. Hopefully this wasn't too much of a "too much information" post. But no little boy yet, we will have to wait another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment