Saturday, December 27, 2014

Hearing Screening #6

Last Thursday we had Sarah's sixth hearing screening.  We scheduled this screening as close to when we were moving so we could give Sarah time to clear the fluid that they believe is affecting her hearing.  

I was so optimistic going into this appointment.  However, I am sad to report that Sarah is still not passing her hearing screenings in her left ear.  The results are coming back the same - not worse but not better either.  

Hearing the results was really discouraging.  The last month inbetween her appointments I just felt really calm about the situation.  I just felt like it was all going to work out.  I have to remind myself that it still can.  

It's hard that we now have to continue this journey here in Utah.  We are now on the search for a pediatric audiologist here.  We are still hopeful that her hearing will right itself.  We've decided that the hardest part of all of this is just being in this in-between period - not really knowing what's going on.  We are at the point where we just want to know.  If she has some sort of permanent hearing loss we just want to move forward with it - or if it is nothing we just want it to clear up and be nothing so we don't have to worry about the alternative.  It's just hard not knowing.  

Everything is just so uncertain.  I asked our audiologist how sure she was that it was fluid in her ears and she says that she couldn't say for certain and that is just what makes the most sense.  I also asked if there would be any language delays and it was the same story, most likely there isn't as long as one ear is functioning properly but she can't say for sure.  It's just hard.  

As for Sarah she is just the happiest little thing and we just love her to pieces.  We are grateful to have such a sweet little girl who has been so patient throughout all of these tests.  We love you, little one.   



No comments:

Post a Comment