It dawned on me last night that we are CRAZY that we didn't plan our 2012 Berning Family Vacation for this week. It would have been PERFECT! According to our tradition - that granted we just started last year - this year's trip was supposed to be to South Carolina. We had actually already planned what we kind of wanted to do, but seeing as our little guy is coming smack-dab in the middle of summer, it makes things a little trickier. So we've been thinking of other vacations we could do that are closer-ish. We decided instead of South Carolina we would do South Dakota. Little fact that I was completely unaware of - we are only five hours from Mount Rushmore. Who knew?! Anyway, I am now just realizing that I have no idea why I am rambling on about this - but now we are planning on attempting to make this trip the middle-end of August, right before Mark goes to school. It should be pretty low-key but we will see what happens.
ANYWAY - on to spring break! So honestly, I don't know where the week went! We had kind of made a mental list of things we could do this week but now looking back on it we didn't do too much. But we still had fun. I think we were just enjoying being able to sleep in, me continuing to feel better, and just relaxing at home. Most of the time it just felt like the day slipped away from us.
But we did go and do some shopping which was fun. Mark is such a good sport about shopping. I had started to get a little worried that we honestly had bought NOTHING for our little guy yet. The main reason is that we have literally NO PLACE to put anything - especially anything big. But then I started thinking - first of all I don't want to financially kill us (or at least have it feel that way) and have to go buy everything all at once. Plus, there is always the off chance that he will come early and then we will really find ourselves in a pickle. Anyway, so we went and bought some clothes for our little man. Of course I have been eying these every time I go to the store, but it was fun to actually buy some. It was a little funny because Mark and I kept having to have the same conversation over and over in the baby section. Mostly on why he needs so many clothes - specifically onesies. Haha, I just kept trying to explain that babies spit up, poop, ALL of that fun stuff and they could go through more than one outfit a day very easily. Oh boys. But as long as we got a lot of sports themed onesies he seemed to go along with it just fine. :)
| It is CRAZY to me how small the newborn stuff is compared to the three month! This is all I could convince Mark to get - maybe next time I will have to go by myself :) |
The biggest thing by far we did this week was go to the Denver Zoo. It was a lot of fun and I think I can safely say was the longest I have ever been at a zoo before. We didn't think it would be that busy going on a Thursday but boy were we wrong. It is mommy and stroller central there! But we still had a ton of fun. Mark and I are made to go to museums and things like this together because we are exactly the same. We like to read all of the signs and watch the animals probably longer then most. But it is great because neither one of us feels rushed or anything. We just kept thinking how excited we were to come back with our little guy someday. It will just make it that much more fun.
Mark and I both decided that the best part of the zoo was at the very end. We swung back up because we thought we had missed one of the houses and we got a little surprise. Inside is where they kept one of the hippos named Berty. He is absolutely massive! He is 55 years old (10 years older then the average hippo apparently) and has fathered 30 hippos in his lifetime. They keep him inside in this heated pool because he is old and his son (who is outside in the main exhibit) kind of beats up on him. Though Mark and I cannot imagine that at all because Berty is WAY bigger then his son.
The reason we know all of this is because we got there right when a zookeeper was feeding him. There was only us and two other girls so we were pretty up close and personal. Once he was done feeding him we waited for a while while the zookeeper got ready and then he came out to do some training and to clean and saw off some of his molars. This probably isn't all that interesting - but it was to us. It was fun just to see him do some more things then sleep. Who would have thought a hippo could be so cute?
| Our new friend Berty - P.S. there was NO zoom on this, this is how close we were, it was pretty awesome |
| Berty doing his "training" |
| Getting his cleaning done :) |
-I tried to upload a picture of our route but I can't figure it out - oh technology-
The weather this week has been SO nice - well actually the last couple of weeks have been AMAZING. We have enjoyed going on LOTS of walks around our little "apartment community." There is this man-made lake that is all around it which is really pretty and it is the perfect little walk.
Anyway, it has been a great week. I am sorry that I have probably rambled on and on way more then I should have in this post - thanks for being patient. But I am a quite sad that Mark has to go back to school but I guess it has to happen. We are so grateful for every day we get to spend with each other. Love that man.
--P.S. I promise this was not intentionally done but I realize we did not get any pictures of us - oops - one of these days we will get better at that again --
No comments:
Post a Comment